The current xkcd deals with the psycholinguistic properties of expletive infixation:
For a fuller discussion of the issues, see:
- James McCawley, "Where you can shove infixes", in Alan Bell and Joan Hooper, Eds., Syllables and Segments, 1978.
- James McMillan, "Infixing and Interposing in English", American Speech 1980.
- John McCarthy, "Prosodic Structure and Expletive Infixation", Language 1982.
- Arnold Zwicky and Geoffrey Pullum, "Plain morphology and expressive morphology", BLS 1987.
- Michael Adams, "Infixing and Interposing in English: A New Direction", American Speech 2001.
- Michael Adams, "Meaningful Infixing: A Nonexpletive Form", American Speech 2004.